Very fun dish to make. Popular dish to make for your boyfriend in Japan ;) Show some love!
Ketchup chicken rice is a typical stuffing for this dish in Japan but you can get creative as well. This time, I stuffed my omelette with some left overs from burrito night; rice with black beans and some South American spices. Mm!
What you need (serves 1 dish) :
- 2 large eggs
- Rice (chicken rice, ketchup rice, any type of rice works here. See this recipe)
- (optional) Veggies
- Start by preparing the stuffing. You can use this recipe or simply stir fry some rice with optional veggies and chicken. It's good to throw in some ketchup or tomato sauce before adding in the rice. This will help prevent blotches of ketchup/sauce in the rice. Throw in the rice after and you'll see a more even tone.
- Put the rice out of the pan and keep it to the side while you prepare the omelette.
- Heat the pan on HIGH, put a little bit of oil. Mix the egg in a separate bowl and pour it into the heated pan. Quickly scramble the egg and throw in the rice.
- Start wrapping the egg up on one side of the rice (Be careful not to overcook the egg here). Flip the omelette+rice onto a plate. It's okay to toss the omelette onto the plate by turning the pan up side down! :)
- Top it off with ketchup or be fun like me and place some pineapple salsa and avocado!
Note: Steps #3 and #4 should only take 2-3min as the egg heats fast!