Not only can you see beautiful gardens and THE golden pavilion when you visit. Here are some things you may not have known about the famous "Kinkakuji".
1. It's a Zen Buddhist Temple.
2. It's real name is "Rokuonji" (鹿苑寺).
3. It's a World Heritage site!
4. It was completely burnt down in the 1950s, but almost fully recovered by 1955.
5. Before becoming a temple, it was a shogun's (Ashikaga Yoshimitsu) house (1930s), this is when the garden was built. It became a temple after his death in the 1400s.
6. The shogun's grandson built the "Ginkakuji" (Silver Pavilion), also a famous spot a few decades later.
...and don't forget to buy "Dango" (rice cake) dipped in special sweet soy sauce.